« Home | Still snowing » | It just keeps snowing! » | I'm mohair! » | Giuchie, Giuchie, ya ya dada » | Finished object and progress » | Vestalong! » | Argyle it is! » | Some like it rough » | Yarn sale! » | Anthropologie capelet and something fluffy » 

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 

Lace, yes

Now I'm into lace! I've ordered 2 hanks of 1-ply wool from Helylle, and I've studied the fine art of Shetland lace shawls by browsing the web for almost two days now, so I think I'm ready. A fine Shetland shawl appears to consist of an edging, knit first, an optional border and definitely a center square. I've found an edging I like, Betsy's Rose Leaf Lace, so I think I'll start with that. It looks quite wide to me, so maybe I don't need a border? One thing I haven't figured out is this corner issue. It's hard to find edging patterns with corner instructions. "A gathering of lace" has one corner pattern, so I've been thinking of using the same principles for my lace. But now it just occurred to me that maybe you don't have to knit corners? Maybe careful blocking (oh, the benefits of careful blocking!) is enough to make a flat corner from a straight lace edging? Hm. Any ideas, suggestions, experience? Anything at all? Anyone?

Yarnlove is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.