« Home | I just don't know what to do with myself » | On merino » | Baggy » | Alone again » | Secret pal answers » | Birthday boy » | What a week! » | I am sailing » | Some might say » | I'm in yarnlove » 

Friday, August 04, 2006 

Swatching (and itching)

I'm swatching my new green and brown yarns for the "Mörketid og vinterlys" jacket. My yarn is a quite thick 2-ply, so on needles 2.5 I get down to 25.5/10 cm, and not the 30 called for. I'm thinking of making the smaller size and with the lower gauge get a good fit. I can also confirm what I suspected the last time I knitted a raw wool like this one: I'm allergic to it. My eyes itches. I'm taking antihistamin, maybe that helps. What an unfortunate handicap...


I've also been thinking of a round neck slipover in dogtooth patterning , for the two matching greens. I once found a pattern in one of my grandmother's old 70's craft books, so I wrote it down. Same gauge problem there, though, but I might crunk it down to the required 28 on 2 mm. Or just recalculate.

Good thing is that this yarn is probably the perfect steeking yarn. My earlier steeking experience hasn't been the best since I worked in Drop's Alpaca, but this time it will be smooth sailing with practically self-felting yarn. I did some back and forth fair-isling on the Norwegian Stocking heel, and I don't wanna go there again.

Your swatch looks lovely! I'm sorry to hear about your allergy. How awful!

You are one brave woman! First there's the allergy and then the Norsk Strikkedesign. Just wow. :-)

Post a Comment

Yarnlove is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.